Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Value Of A Name...


The first home I ever owned for myself, just for me, was called Cozhaven.

I had an oval plaque made up with the word Cozhaven and some lovely leaves and flowers on it, and had it attached to the brickwork at the front door.

And I loved that place.

It was little, didn't have all the mod cons, and could have done with a bathroom revamp.

But it was my true haven, and the place where I felt cozy, safe, and free to be me.

I painted the walls a buttery yellow, changed the curtains, put my favourite prints wherever I wanted, bought furniture to fit, and had a ball turning it into a home that reflected the real me.

It really was my cozy haven - hence its name.

And, every home I've owned ever since has had a name. Some made up of two words or representative of a feeling like Cozhaven was, or some more normal names that came with the house like Lily or Ruby.

And, when I say they 'came' with the house I don't mean the name was already there, the previous owners told me the name, or it was written down somewhere...... the names just seemed to present themselves in my mind as the ones that 'belonged' with each home. Much like you look at some people or children and say they look like an Emily or a Jake, or the way some parents wait to see what their child looks like before they name him or her, feeling that a name will just become....... evident.

Strangely enough all my homes have been girls, I've never felt obliged to call one a boyish name, but I'm sure there's some out there!

Ask yourself: 'Does my home have a name?'

Which leads to: 'Is there anything that comes to mind when I think of my house.... a name, a feeling, an emotion that could trigger a name for it?'

Because: If you name your home, you will feel an even closer connection to it, and it will blossom as an integral part of your life.

Cheers,

Linda.

******

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...